VH:RP Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

/do S/F system, removed

+23
D_Donnerfield
Sonerin
Tyler Reese
KilicB
James
Cory Dwight
lol70720
Tommy Carreiro
Bryan_Dan
MantasWolf
Nico
George_Henry
Jager Arach
Jamie Steel
Sam Andersun
Nero
Tanya Smith
Victor_Jankowski
Samara
Marcus Campbell
Peter Greenson
Nicolas Djordjevic
Odin
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

/do S/F system, removed Empty /do S/F system, removed

Post by Odin Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 pm

If you want to grab someone, grab them. If you want to push them, just freaking push them. If you want to kick then just do it. And if you- you being the person on the other side of the RP wants to resist then just resist it in a /me. But at the same time remember you're on a roleplay server and the definition of powergaming. This whole successful and failure garbage needs to go.

In order to improve the quality of roleplay and open up doors for new possibilities of action, it is preferable that you, the player, avoid the following formula when performing an action on another character: "/me attempts to [action] (on) [name]. /do Success / Fail?" Why? Because it often influences players to simply reply "/do Fail." and limit possible outcomes.

Instead, if you for example want to hit somebody, use an emote along the lines of "/me launches a right hook in the direction of [name]'s jaw." This implies that the other person must either try to block it, dodge it and/or counter attack, either roleplay the effects of the punch. You must also not forget the rule about powergaming and avoid a finished action such as "/me breaks [name]'s jaw with his right hook, sending [name] on the ground."

/do S/F is the #1 way to PG.

Blue = Johnny, Red = Jimmy

/me tries to pull Jimmy from the car.
/do S/F
/do F, he misses.
This is not made by me. I just took it from another server's forum. I liked it and I was thinking it would help.
Odin
Odin
R.C.S.
R.C.S.

Personal Text : Do not drink before school, trust me.

Back to top Go down

/do S/F system, removed Empty Re: /do S/F system, removed

Post by Nicolas Djordjevic Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:08 pm

This is all about how is person RPing...

Not everyone is pro in here, Loki.

At other hand

If you want to grab someone, grab them. If you want to push them, just freaking push them. If you want to kick then just do it.

What if someone is RPing an bad ass Sabbat vampire who gives no damn about Masquerade and attempts to use his speed and avoid the attack?

Also:

If someone attempts to push someone... and that OTHER someone says FAIL.. Then he needs to make a good reason why the first person failed at pushing him.

If he starts bitching about it, report him to admin.
Nicolas Djordjevic
Nicolas Djordjevic
In Game Administrator
In Game Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Nicolas wrote:This is all about how is person RPing...

Not everyone is pro in here, Loki.

At other hand

If you want to grab someone, grab them. If you want to push them, just freaking push them. If you want to kick then just do it.

What if someone is RPing an bad ass Sabbat vampire who gives no damn about Masquerade and attempts to use his speed and avoid the attack?

Also:

If someone attempts to push someone... and that OTHER someone says FAIL.. Then he needs to make a good reason why the first person failed at pushing him.

If he starts bitching about it, report him to admin.
I agree with this post. I unsupport the idea because it will make things worse than they are now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Greenson Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:32 pm

Its negotiable on which is the best system.... I'm very in the middle here.

Let me edit this again if the topic becomes hot.
Peter Greenson
Peter Greenson
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Campbell Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:52 pm

I think we need to keep the S/F system..In my opinion it is a much easier way of RP thank otherwise.So i hope this system doesn't get removed.
Marcus Campbell
Marcus Campbell
Sheriff's Department
Sheriff's Department

Personal Text : R.I.P VHRP 2010-2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Samara Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 pm

I first learnt to RP with the attempts and S/F on ZO, then when I started playing at LS, the roleplay system was like this and it was completely different to what I was used to, I got used to this then went back to ZO for a bit, and was RPing like this and was constantly called a PGer. By those who hadn't RPed with me before, The regulars that I did know, I pm'ed them letting them know how I was RPing before anything happened, and we managed to RP the two different RP styles together with no PG.

This is a more professional way of RPing, which I have tried to use on this server before, but everyone seemed happy with the S/F.. So yeah... I'd be happier if it did change over, But either way I can make it work for me.
Samara
Samara
Management
Management

http://tiger2289.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor_Jankowski Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Nick_Jones wrote:I think we need to keep the S/F system..In my opinion it is a much easier way of RP thank otherwise.So i hope this system doesn't get removed.

I once again agree with Nick here... Or else it's gonna be just stupid... really.... There SHOULD BE Counter-attempts... and IMO, The /do S/F? Thing is the only thing that keeps VH-RP a good RP server as it is... I mean, other RP servers just.... Can't RP IMO;

Victor_Jankowski
Victor_Jankowski
Sheriff's Department
Sheriff's Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanya Smith Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Well I do think that there should be S/F removed, but not made a server rule. Whoever likes old way, just use that one, other may RP in "advanced" style.
But there's a one problem with that "old system". It's called "half second delay" (thought by myself).
When someone tries to do to you in attempt way and your /me fails just by 0.01 second there goes a forceful push to answer first /me in /do with S/F, not even realising the second /me WAS typed with a reason of F or something.
Tanya Smith
Tanya Smith
Donator
Donator

Personal Text : If you can see this, I am probably dead now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Mia wrote:Well I do think that there should be S/F removed, but not made a server rule. Whoever likes old way, just use that one, other may RP in "advanced" style.

I don't agree here. Someone who's NOT using the "advanced" style might try to RolePlay that way, but the one's using the "advanced" style might think of him a PGer, since not attempting.
Well, it basically, it is powergaming. One definition of Powergaming is "forcing the other player RP the way you want it", so by "/me punches him" would be powergaming, since he didn't give him a chance to block/dodge, forcing him to get hit.
Some might argue on the last sentence I wrote, and say "he didn't force him, he could /me blocks". Well, what if the player is new to the RP way of playing, and doesn't know that he's expected to respond. But with "/do S/F?" he can see that he needs to respond, either Fail, or Success.

Nero
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Andersun Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:48 am

I agree it would be nice to get rid of the s/f thing because thats not the PROPER use of /do, however most people have been taught otherwise and players would probably call the more professional style of RP Powergaming because they wouldn't know this style of roleplay. Bottom line this style of Roleplay is better, but only for the few who accually know the proper way to Roleplay.
Sam Andersun
Sam Andersun
Donator
Donator

Personal Text : Samdersun/Undersun

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie Steel Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:53 am

Nero wrote:
Mia wrote:Well I do think that there should be S/F removed, but not made a server rule. Whoever likes old way, just use that one, other may RP in "advanced" style.

I don't agree here. Someone who's NOT using the "advanced" style might try to RolePlay that way, but the one's using the "advanced" style might think of him a PGer, since not attempting.
Well, it basically, it is powergaming. One definition of Powergaming is "forcing the other player RP the way you want it", so by "/me punches him" would be powergaming, since he didn't give him a chance to block/dodge, forcing him to get hit.
Some might argue on the last sentence I wrote, and say "he didn't force him, he could /me blocks". Well, what if the player is new to the RP way of playing, and doesn't know that he's expected to respond. But with "/do S/F?" he can see that he needs to respond, either Fail, or Success.
You don't just force your actions apon people, you do it something like this.

/me clenches his fist and throws a punch towards some random dude's face.
/random dude sees the guy throwing the punch and jerks his head back, narrowly missing the right hook
/me braces himself and tries to use his bodyweight to slam into random person, knocking him to the ground.
/random dude falls to the floor
/me brings his fists above his head and brings them down, aiming at random guy's face.
/random dude puts his arms up to block the attack

There's no use of S/F, because the other player can just RP the reaction.
Jamie Steel
Jamie Steel
In Game Administrator
In Game Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Andersun Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:02 am

Feganator wrote:
Nero wrote:

You don't just force your actions apon people, you do it something like this.

/random dude sees the guy throwing the punch and jerks his head back, narrowly missing the right hook
/me braces himself and tries to use his bodyweight to slam into random person, knocking him to the ground.
/me brings his fists above his head and brings them down, aiming at random guy's face.

On topic: Yes, that is the EXACT proper way to roleplay *Claps for Fegenator* glad someone knows.
Off Topic: A quote within a quote, quoteception.
Sam Andersun
Sam Andersun
Donator
Donator

Personal Text : Samdersun/Undersun

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Greenson Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:14 am

Yeah feganators RP example is the way to RP. I do it with people I suppose can Roleplay enough to do so.
If everyone could agree, I elieve this would become the standard RP system for VH
Peter Greenson
Peter Greenson
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:14 am

Feganator wrote:You don't just force your actions apon people, you do it something like this.

Maybe, maybe... But what if the player is new to the whole RP concept... And doesn't know that he needs/can react. With "/do Success/Fail" he can see that he needs to chose. And if he choses Fail, then he needs a proper reason, example: blocking the attack, dodging it.

Well, if it does get removed, I'm still gonna RP with "/do S/F?", because I've been roleplaying that way for years.

Nero
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Samara Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:31 am

Nero wrote:
Feganator wrote:You don't just force your actions apon people, you do it something like this.

Maybe, maybe... But what if the player is new to the whole RP concept... And doesn't know that he needs/can react. With "/do Success/Fail" he can see that he needs to chose. And if he choses Fail, then he needs a proper reason, example: blocking the attack, dodging it.

Well, if it does get removed, I'm still gonna RP with "/do S/F?", because I've been roleplaying that way for years.

If this becomes the RP standard for VHRP, You'll have to learn to do it like that, same with new players.
Samara
Samara
Management
Management

http://tiger2289.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:39 am

Samara wrote:

If this becomes the RP standard for VHRP, You'll have to learn to do it like that, same with new players.

That's just... Shocked Suspect Then I won't RP lol.

Samara wrote: You'll have to learn to do it like that

I used to RP like that before(on another server, while back), then all servers started using it, at first it was retarted to us, but then we realized that we increased the server's RP level.
I don't see why would this be removed...

Nero
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Jager Arach Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 am

Well during my time on another server in a facction with Edward Moriarty where he was my boss, he taught me to never use s/f, but always respond with /me's because it was noobish and kept drilling that into my head. I beleive it's just that s/f is for people learning roleplay and if you are more advanced you should use me's to respond. But it's all your choice.
Jager Arach
Jager Arach
Donator
Donator

Personal Text : Die standing or live begging.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:48 am

Odin, look what you did... lol

On Topic:
It's just that all the servers use it, and if we remove it, they might look at us like we have lower RP skills then them. And what if we stop using it on the server, and a new player comes(from a server that used S/F system) and someone tries to bite him with /me bites the guy.
He'll start running and shouting OMG NONRP, PG PG!! and /q... Some might think, "so, it's just one player lol", yeah, but that player could bring more players...

And, I don't care really, if it get's removed, I'll still use S/F, until (if) it becomes a server rule.

Nero
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Campbell Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:49 am

I mean i could work with responding in /me but actually i prefer the S/F system..But the admins decide and if it changes to responding in /me's than i'll go with it.
Marcus Campbell
Marcus Campbell
Sheriff's Department
Sheriff's Department

Personal Text : R.I.P VHRP 2010-2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:50 am

Nick_Jones wrote:I mean i could work with responding in /me but actually i prefer the S/F system..But the admins decide and if it changes to responding in /me's than i'll go with it.

I agree.

Nero
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie Steel Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Nero wrote: what if we stop using it on the server, and a new player comes(from a server that used S/F system) and someone tries to bite him with /me bites the guy.
He'll start running and shouting OMG NONRP, PG PG!! and /q...
Because that IS powergame... If you want to bite somebody you'd do it like this.

/me places his hands on [name]'s shoulders and bares his fangs, bringing his head down, trying to sink his teeth into [name]'s neck

[name] gets bitten, feeling the vitae being drained from his body.

Put it this way, with the S/F system you're essentially RPing inside a small box. Removing the S/F system you're breaking down the walls surrounding the RP, allowing you to have freedom inside an RP rather than a 50/50 chance of succeeding in whatever form of RP you're doing.
Jamie Steel
Jamie Steel
In Game Administrator
In Game Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:32 pm

Feganator wrote:
Nero wrote: what if we stop using it on the server, and a new player comes(from a server that used S/F system) and someone tries to bite him with /me bites the guy.
He'll start running and shouting OMG NONRP, PG PG!! and /q...
Because that IS powergame... If you want to bite somebody you'd do it like this.

/me places his hands on [name]'s shoulders and bares his fangs, bringing his head down, trying to sink his teeth into [name]'s neck

[name] gets bitten, feeling the vitae being drained from his body.

Put it this way, with the S/F system you're essentially RPing inside a small box. Removing the S/F system you're breaking down the walls surrounding the RP, allowing you to have freedom inside an RP rather than a 50/50 chance of succeeding in whatever form of RP you're doing.

The /me bites the guy was an example.
On the other hand, I never thought of the S/F system that way, I tried "attempting" today on the server, and never wrote "S/F?", and people still respond "S", or "F" instead of /me gets[action(bitten, hit, etc.)]

Nero
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolas Djordjevic Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm

Alright so...

10..... I don't know... People lets say standing in front of me..

And I do what?

*Nicolas takes out his gun and starts shooting one by one.. they all dai*

End of the RP?

No bro that's unfair lets be old fashioned this time.
Nicolas Djordjevic
Nicolas Djordjevic
In Game Administrator
In Game Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie Steel Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Nicolas wrote:Alright so...

And I do what?

End of the RP?

Not reading the posts correctly herp derp.

You can RP taking out your gun and firing at people, which essentially leaves the ball in the other persons court. None of this:
/me takes out his gun and fires at [name]
/do S/F?
[Name]: F [insert random reason]
/me misses for some apparent reason.

Instead you can do this

[name] notices the guy reaching for his gun and runs for cover

Which looks better?
Jamie Steel
Jamie Steel
In Game Administrator
In Game Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolas Djordjevic Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:30 pm

Feganator wrote:
Nicolas wrote:Alright so...

And I do what?

End of the RP?

Not reading the posts correctly herp derp.

You can RP taking out your gun and firing at people, which essentially leaves the ball in the other persons court. None of this:
/do S/F?
[Name]: F [insert random reason]
/me misses for some apparent reason.

Instead you can do this

[name] notices the guy reaching for his gun and runs for cover

Which looks better?

Oh my god.. its the same shit..

Just use whatever you like...

I thought this was something else.

Wait calling me derp? Oh cool I <3 u too.
Nicolas Djordjevic
Nicolas Djordjevic
In Game Administrator
In Game Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next